The Board yesterday adopted a fundamental re-rewrite of the Packaging and Labeling rules. The new rules were developed collaboratively the with the industry, prevention community, and other stakeholders.
These rules will become effective January 1, 2020. Licensees will have until July 1, 2020 to bring all product packaging and labeling into compliance. Retailers will have until January 1, 2021 to phase out all sell down non-compliant product.
The interim policy linked below will guide the implementation of the rules.
Please review this Packaging and Labeling Guide to help you understand the new rules and how they should be applied.
Board approved the CR-103 for Packaging and Labeling
Packaging and Labeling (Effective January 1, 2020)
Board approved Board Interim Policy (BIP) 17-2019
BIP-17-2019 – Implementation of WAC 314-55-105 regarding marijuana packaging and labeling rules, and WAC 314-55-077 (8) and (9) (Effective December 18, 2019)
- The CR-101 for Cannabis Production and Canopy was withdrawn
Cannabis Production and Canopy
The Board rescinded BIP 05-2018, 07-2018, 08-2018, 09-2018, 10-2018, and 14-2019
- BIP-14-2019– Marijuana Labeling Retail Sell-down (Effective August 21, 2019)
- BIP-05-2018– Cannabis Packaging and Labeling Rules (Revised – Effective July 17, 2019)
- BIP-07-2018– Marijuana Labeling- False and Misleading Definition Clarification (Revised – Effective July 17, 2019)
- BIP-08-2018– Marijuana Labeling – Curative or Therapeutic Effects (Effective July 17, 2019)
- BIP-09-2018– Marijuana Labeling – Marijuana Infused Edibles Colors and Homogenization (Effective July 17, 2019)
- BIP-10-2018– Marijuana Labeling – Marijuana Infused Edibles Colors (Revised – Effective July 17, 2019)